Week Ends with Small Fire on Park Street
At 15:51 hrs on Saturday, April 18th, the Essex Junction and Essex Town Fire Departments along with Essex Rescue were dispatched to 17 Park Street, the Cafe Mediterano for a report of a fire in the building.
En route, dispatch advised that police officers were on the scene and had a fire on the exterior of the building in the rear. Engine 5 and Utility 61 responded with seven personnel and arrived to find a porch in the rear of the building smoldering (the fire was extinguished with fire extingui
shers prior to fire department arrival). The crew proceeded to utilize a water extinguisher to wet down the area of the porch that was charred and also to do light overhaul of the burned area. Essex Rescue transported a patient for smoke inhalation. All units were placed in service and were clear of the scene by 16:18 hrs.
It was later determined that an occupant of the building was grilling underneath the porch and caught the porch on fire. This is an example of an extremely close call and a reminder to always grill in an open area away from any buildings.